April 20, 2010

Power Starts In The Mind: by Doug Katouna

Regardless of what you tell yourself, you alone decide how you feel, perform and look.

Happy In Decline? 
On my group ride Sunday (Como Street), I found myself in the lead group of about 15 riders
(out of about 85 that started).  Lots of ugly going on.  Then I looked around at the top of
the final climb (now only about 10 of us left).  Only 1 fire breather under 35 years old!  Why?
Wisdom.  Experience.  Consistent training.  Passion for the sport.  Fight.  Fun.  I bet some
of the younger guys that got dropped (and maybe some older ones too) had some good
excuses (dog ate my homework, too much of not enough, not enough sleep 3 months ago).
None of us 35+ guys were thinking about our age when it was Go Time.  As you age, why
not think about drawing on your expansive base of everything (see the Why? above) and
put it to use.  Do you?  No decline as you mature, only more tools in your arsenal to use!

Lift.  Run.  Ride.  Who the F Cares?
How strong is your weakness?  If you ride good, can you run good too?  Can you do some
endurance in the morning then knock out some heavy shoulder press in the afternoon? 
What are you good at (fitness/sport related, not at Bingo or gardening)?  But more importantly,
what area of your performance/fitness do you need to work at?  That tells me more about
an athlete's potential than anything else.  Target yourself to be able to perform efficiently
at multiple skills that require varying degrees of load, time and power requirements.

Then, whatever the activity or workout, you'll lick your chops instead of getting your chops
kicked in.

L.O.W. Losers
28.  101.  0.  The last FAC email I sent out included my Lean Out Week shred routine.  28
of you did it faithfully, 101 pounds lost and 0 surprises from me.  Bottom line - if you want
to get lean, you can.  Read that line again.  Get it done or it will be harder to get it done.

Coffee & Coconut
Coffee is a food group (I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere???!!!).  Coconut is quickly
becoming the new power substance over soy and other genetically-modified junk touted
as healthy.  Well, now there is Coconut Creamer for your bean!  Yep, I have done my
own brutal field tests over the last month (had to drink some good coffee while I sampled
the Hazelnut, French Vanilla repeatedly).  It's an athletic alternative to other creamers.

Experience is not what happens to a man, it is what a man does with what happens to him.

(A. Huxley)

If you wait for the motivation or the right time to get where you want to be, then
you will get lost in the abyss of opportunity.

- Doug Katona

No comments:

Post a Comment