June 25, 2009

Michellie Jones 'escapes' from Alcatraz



On Sunday June 14th Michellie Jones “escapes” from Alcatraz for the 10th time.

“It should have been number 11 but I did not quite make it off the bike course or the run in 2005 due to a crash that landed her in the hospital. So I definitely had a score to settle.

It had been 4 years since I had escaped so I thought it was time to go back and try again. One of the great things about this race apart from the fact you swim in the San Francisco Bay with the great whites and it is one of the most spectacular courses. The spectators are amazing the last few miles of the run. There is almost nothing better than running down a finish line but with thousand of people cheering it just makes it even better.

They make you run a mile before the cycle so you warm up after being in the frigid waters of San Francisco Bay. Keeping proper hydration was a must. The cycle leg is one of the most challenging course with it twists and turns and accents and descents along the way. Thankfully you only cover 18 miles, which does not sound very long but just long enough.



The run in famous or infamous as it includes the 1/4 mile sand ladder. Which basically makes your chest pound so hard that you can hear it in your ears.

My race plan was to get out and hammer for as long as my heart and lungs would allow. I exited the water in 5th place and managed to cycle my way up to 4th only to be passed on the Bakers Beach section and claim 5th overall at the finish.

So with 8 Victories, 1 Second and a 5th and 1 DNF I am very happy with my record at the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon.

Did I mention I finally took down Pablo. Mike Dannelley from American Interbanc was also there kicking Alcatraz butt.

I am headed to Atlanta on the 28th of June for the Iron Girls Triathlon which will be broadcast on NBC later in the year.”

-Michellie Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment