February 11, 2010

MOTOR TABS Fuels Rookie Cyclist on Grueling Three-Day Tour!

February 11, 2010
By Kelley Gast

I am pretty new to the cycling circuit. In training with my coach she mentioned a ride in Puerto Rico called La Vuelta which is over 375 miles in
3 days. So back in August she said "let's do it" and reluctantly I agreed.
No sooner had I signed up then she backed out of the ride due to other agreements in her coaching career. What's a girl going to do, RIDE!
So I stepped up to the challenge and started seriously training. She turned me on to Motor Tabs during my training and I certainly loved them but didn't understand the importance until the serious training in the gym left my dehydrated and exhausted. I then began drinking them all the time to replenish electrolyte imbalances to perform better. Now I was hooked. I never had that sticky sweet taste like Gatorade (or other sports drinks) and the taste is light and refreshing. Only a long distance athlete knows how badly your mouth can feel after you have the wrong sugar drink. That's why I love Motor Tabs! I tracked down a bunch of Motor Tabs for this upcoming ride and if I had not prepared I know I would have not made it. I arrive in Puerto Rico for this ride on a Tuesday evening. I walk the city in the heat and humidity on Wednesday. I even drank Motor Tabs to keep me replenished after the heat was more than I was used to. Thursday was an optional 40-mile prelude to make sure the bike was good after the airplane ride. I drank seven bottles of fluid due to being in the heat, humidity and multiple stops in the sun and then called Sellers to get some electrolyte tips! I thought I must be dehydrating from travel, weather and other circumstances and was worried about the upcoming ride.
Day 1 - San Juan to Ponce was 148 miles with 4,180 in elevation gain in the heat and humidity. I kept it together and finished strong. Other people were dehydrated but I drank at least 2 Motor Tabs per hour and my 72 oz. Camelbak was a constant source every 10 minutes.
Day 2 - Woke up feeling great! Ponce to Mayaguez was 93 miles with 3,439 in elevation with temperatures in the 90's and once again I remained fully hydrated. I rested and put those feet in the air and made sure that on the last big day I would ride strong.
Day 3 - Mayaguez to San Juan was 139 miles with 4,236 in elevation gain in the high 90's and I remained strong again. Never had a cramp, never felt badly and certainly by the 3rd day I should have been on my behind but I stayed true to my scheduled hourly routine of Motor Tabs.
After reviewing my Garmin and realizing that I totaled over 432 miles with my added City tour and completing 13,091 in total elevation gain over 4 days without EVER cramping, feeling dehydrated and overall feeling great each day, no one can believe that this girl finished a ride like this! While I saw people scraping the bottom of the pretzel barrel for salt, looking behind me to see guys in better shape than me drafting me, people on the side of the road cramped and others massaging their legs while riding I felt like I was cheating since I was feeling so great!
Of course the highlight was seeing those big guys behind me lined up so I could bring them home! Awesome experience not to be overlooked by the way I felt from listening to my coach and working with the Motor Tabs products prior to this ride. I am hooked for good, keep them coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment